Office of Internationnal Relations, Reking University

中文版 | English | how to arrive | Link
HOME > ADMISSION > Non-degree Programs > Visiting >

General Visiting Student Program

Publish:2014-09-26 09:29:00

Program Introduction

An overseas student wishing to study at Peking University for one semester/year but not for a degree may be admitted as a General Visiting Student.
The following options are available for joining in Chinese-taught/English-taught undergraduate courses or enhancing proficiency in the Chinese language:
♦ GVS1: Overseas universities with student exchange agreements with Peking University may select students of non-Chinese nationality for an exchange program at Peking University for a Chinese language course or specific undergraduate courses.
♦ GVS2: International students awarded with Chinese Government Scholarships or Confucius Institute Scholarships may take Chinese language courses or undergraduate courses at Peking University.
♦ GVS3: Students may apply for a Chinese language course or undergraduate courses through individual or group applications. Students for learning Chinese please refer to the Chinese Language Studies Program for more information.

Chinese Proficiency Requirement
♦ Chinese Language Studies: No Chinese proficiency requirement. Students learn Chinese at PKU School of Chinese as a Second Language.

♦ Undergraduate Course Studies: Students who plan to take Chinese-taught undergraduate courses should have the certificate of new HSK 6 (over 180 points).

If your Chinese proficiency does not meet the required standard of your target course of study, you have two options, either to take English-taught undergraduate courses, or to learn Chinese at School of Chinese as a Second Language for one or two semesters before entering the department.
Application Prerequisites
Applicants must be non-Chinese citizens with a valid passport, above the age of 18 and under the age of 45,  in good health,  have completed at least one year of undergraduate study at their own university.
Application Process
1. Online Registration.
1.1. Please register your details at . Please fill in the application form, submit and also print a hardcopy for reference.
Applicants for Chinese language studies please choose “School of Chinese as a Second Language” when filling in the study plan online; applicants for undergraduate course studies please choose “Other Departments/Schools”.
2. Submit Application Materials.
2.1. After completing the Peking University Application Form for International Students online please print and attach a passport-style photograph.
2.2. Certification of highest degree attained or Certificate of Enrollment at University, and official academic transcripts (original documents or certified copies, either in Chinese or English)
2.3. Two letters from your referees. The referees should be professors or persons with relevant academic title. The recommendation letters must be original documents, either in Chinese or English.
2.4. Certificate of Chinese proficiency level (If appropriate)
2.5. One photocopy of your valid passport ID page (passport type must be ordinary)
Note: Please mail the paper application documents to PKU International Students Division before the deadline.
Your application documents will not be returned.
Application Fee
400RMB, paid in one of the following ways:
(1) in cash;
(2) by Yinlian bank card;
(3) through online payment. 
Note:Any other currency or travel check would not be accepted.
         The application fee is not refundable.
          Applications with incomplete materials or without application fee will not be considered.
When to Apply
Fall Semester Admission: Application starts on March 1st and ends on March 31st.
Spring Semester Admission: Application starts on November 1st and ends on November 30th.
Note: Please hand in personally or sent application materials by post to International Students Division  of Peking University.

Admission will be determined according to your educational background and the academic achievement. Upon acceptance, the University will send you the ‘Admission Notification’ as well as the ‘Visa Application for Study in China (Form JW202)’ at the end of the semester.
Registration Period
Fall Semester: In early September (specified in the Admission Notification);
Spring Semester: In February (specified in the Admission Notification).
Tuition Fee (per person)
GVS 1: Humanities: 26,000RMB/year    Science Subjects: 30,000RMB/year
GVS 2: Humanities: 26,000RMB/year    Science Subjects: 30,000RMB/year
GVS 3: 18,000RMB/semester

PKU Academic Year
Fall Semester: normally from September to January;
Spring Semester: normally from February to June.

Course Information:
Chinese language courses: please refer to the Chinese Language Studies Program for more information.
Undergraduate courses: please visit for more information.
Medical Insurance
The Ministry of Education of China requires that all international students must purchase the medical insurance designated by Chinese universities and be medically insured throughout their entire planned period of study.
Students who do not have valid medical insurance will not be allowed to register.
Accommodation Information
There are different types of housing facilities for international students at PKU. For information regarding Zhongguanyuan Global Village, you are welcome to visit For specific advice please contact 86-10-62752288.
Self-funded students are required to find their own living accommodation. Please note that students who live off campus must register to the local police station within 24 hours.
Students will receive a Peking University campus card (ID card) upon registration and may use the card in on-campus dining halls, PKU Library and other facilities.

Visa Information
Students admitted to PKU may apply for your visa at the Chinese Embassy/Consulate in your country with your Admission Notification and JW202 form. International students who study in China for over 6 months are required to obtain ‘X1’ Visa, which is only valid for 30 days after your arrival in China. You must come to the International Students Division and apply for a Residence Permit within 30 days in order to obtain a legal status in China. Students who study at PKU for less than 6 months can apply for ‘X2’ visa.
Contact Information
International Students Division, Office of International Relations
3rd Floor, New Sun Student Center,
Peking University, Beijing 100871
People’s Republic of China
Telephone: (86-10)-6275 1230
Fax: (86-10)-6275 1233